Saturday, July 11, 2009

Reading on vacation

I've been on vacation for the last week. We went to Newport Beach, which has been a tradition for almost 20 years. I did a lot of reading.

Twilight - better than the movie, good beach reading, but not great

New Moon - the sequel to Twilight, whiny, self-indulgent, wallowing, adequate beach reading, now I have to decide if I'll read the third one.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - intelligent, wallowing - but it gets better - not your typical beach read (intelligent), I recommend it - maybe I just was hypersensitive to wallowing after New Moon

The Tao of Pooh - nice - I recommend it - I didn't get to read all of it, it was being passed around

Altered Carbon - SciFi, good beach reading, very Blade Runneresque - if you liked Blade Runner, I recommend it, I haven't finished it yet

No comments: