Sunday, October 19, 2008

Prop. 8 - just say NO

I don't usually like to talk politics. I always feel like others are more informed than I am and that my comments will just fuel the stupidity. I try to be private about my politics and religious opinions. That being said, Prop 8 is pissing me off!

First of all I think we need to really be careful about passing laws that deny rights to some that are granted to others. As a side note, I'm not convinced that felons should lose their right to vote.

I'm against prop. 8. That's not what pisses me off.

What pisses me off is the fear mongering.

One ad actually says gay marriage will become mandatory. What? Do I have to get divorced and marry a woman? Mandatory for who? Yes, the courthouse has to grant gay couples marriage licenses and perform civil services for gay couples.

Churches will not be forced to marry people. Just like a Catholic church does not have to marry a non-catholic couple now. How many lawsuits are there against LDS churches for not marrying Catholics in their temples?!

I teach 3rd grade. I do not "teach marriage" in any form. It is not a California standard. I have not suddenly started teaching same sex marriage now that it is legal. The parents from my classroom do not need to worry that curriculum has or will change. Marriage is not part of the curriculum!

Stay out of my personal life, protect my rights, protect everyone else's rights. Don't use fear in the place of facts to convince me of your issue.


1 comment:

Mammatalk said...

OK, why I am just figuring out you have a blog now? Duh.