Saturday, October 4, 2008

Busy Week

This has been Fall Break. Fall Break is a week off in the middle of our first trimester. It seems like a ridiculous time to have a break. Nonetheless (love that word) I've enjoyed the time off.

I've done all kinds of chores including having my baby tooth extracted. A creepy bit of work, but now it's done and I can get on with my life.

I had a few realizations about money this week. First, if you don't have medical insurance, you're screwed. I know this isn't news. It was just made very clear to me. We have a new insurance company as of October first. When Gary picked up his two prescriptions they tried to charge him almost $400 because the old insurance denied it and they didn't know about the new insurance. With the insurance information the charge dropped down to about $25. WOW! My mom was in the emergency room a while back. Before insurance the doctor's bill would have been around $800. With Medicare and her private insurance the charge dropped to $17. The second realization came at the car dealership. I had some work done and I realized they just make up how many hours of labor to charge. How can it take 3 1/2 hours to program new keys?! I know it doesn't take 2 1/2 hours to replace an antenna mast.

During the break I also finished some work in the closet. I put up new shelves and discovered I have an embarrassing amount of shoes. I replaced our old smoke detector when I realized the old one wasn't working. I have this fear of dying in an embarrassing way like a fire when the alarm is broken. This paragraph let's you know I have a fear of being embarrassed. It's why I haven't learned a new language.

No comments: