Monday, June 13, 2011

bucket list

"Bucket list" a phrase that means the things one wants to do before they kick the bucket.  First of all how can "kick the bucket" be a euphemism for death?  It is such an ugly phrase.  Euphemisms should sound nicer than the thing they euphemize (not a word, I know).  I can't hear the word bucket without immediately connecting it to the memory of throwing up as a child.  Whenever I was really sick, mom would put a small bucket next to the bed. 

Kick the bucket - kick the can.  Kick the can was a great game.  Hide and seek crossed with capture the flag.  But then can is a slang for toilet.  Olly olly oxen free!

I am working on my "pony list".  This is what I've decided is my euphemism for bucket list.  I always wanted a pony.  Of course I always really wanted a 16 hand horse, but pony encompasses the little girl wistfulness better.

No comments: