Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Plan

As always, I like to have a plan.  I want to buy a horse of my very own (hear the whine?)

I am going to continue riding Danny at Don-E-Brooks every Saturday until after the spring break trip in April.  I'll ride Danny at the horse camp at Montana de Oro.  After that I will ask Kelly for a different horse each week.  This will give me more experience with different horses.   It will help me know what I like and what I don't like.  For example, until I rode G, I had no idea how different (horrible) some horses' gaits could be.  Until I rode Captain I didn't realize how much stumbling some horses do.  Until I met G, I had never heard of cribbing.

Part two of my plan is to take an equestrian science class at Pierce College.  There are many medical maintenance things I can learn to do myself.  That will save a lot of money, for example: vaccinations, worming, minor wound care, etc.  This part of the plan doesn't have to happen before buying my own horse, but should happen as soon as possible.  It may not be until next fall that I can get into a class.

Meanwhile I'll continue leasing G three days a week.  When I do buy my own horse there will be two sacrifices.  One is G.  I can't buy a horse and continue to lease G.  If I stop leasing him, he will likely go back to getting little exercise.  I may work something out with Michelle to give him some exercise, but at that point I'll have my own to exercise.  The other sacrifice will be my weekly lesson at Don-E-Brooks.  I have many friends there and really enjoy going.  I can't board there though.  It's just too far away.

So now I have a two part plan towards buying my own horsey.  I don't have any kind of date to do it in mind.  Maybe sometime in the summer, maybe the fall. 

No comments: