Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So much has happened in my horsey life lately.  I went to horse camp  and rode some trails I never would have tried on my own.  It was a great experience and gave me new respect for Danny and for my own abilities.

When we got back I asked about buying Danny, but his price was too high.  The ranch has put time and money into him and he is a great horse.  I decided to stop riding him and try others that would be in my price range, $2 - 3,000 rather than pushing $5,000.

I rode Rebel, a cute palomino, and then Cookie, a smaller paint.  I enjoyed Cookie.  She's pretty young and hasn't had a lot of training yet.  I didn't think I would like a smaller horse, but she was fine.  I'm just going to keep trying different horses to see what I like and what is reasonable to expect in my price range.

At  G's ranch, I'm trying a new horse too. His name is Chet, and he is a big boy; taller and much wider than G.  He's sweet and I've been petting him and cooing at him since Saturday.  Yesterday was my first time on him.  He's only 8 and has lots of energy.  It was hard to hold him at a walk, but when I let him trot he was pretty attentive.  I was nervous at first, but when he tested me I must have passed because we did ok as time went on.  He doesn't neck rein and although I'm told he takes leg cues it was mostly direct reining that got through to him.  He has a nice lope, but it's a little hard to keep it to a reasonable pace.

I'm going to ride him as much as possible over the next couple weeks before committing to a lease.  After a few months who knows... But what about G?

No comments: