Sunday, September 26, 2010

The "Good life"

There are many references to the "Good life" in my degree description and syllabus.  I'm having a hard time deciding what the good life is.  We wrote about happiness.  Does being happy mean you're living the good life?  Somehow I have to include the good life in my next paper:

"The topic: How what we have done so far in the course can (1) help introduce someone into the Humanities (i.e. in which sense and to which extent), and (2) which consequences for a self-examination of ourselves (in particular for an examination of your worldview and your pursuit of the good life) this partial introduction may have."

English is not the professor's first language.  "self-examination of ourselves"

Humanities, hmmm.  We've talked about the liberal arts and how that was the course for those pursuing non-technical professions.  We've talked about philosophy freeing you from the slavish following of tradition "habits and tyranny of custom" was the phrase. (who do I site if I use that phrase?  damn!  Russel?)  Humanities, liberal arts, and philosophy aren't synonyms so I have to be careful with what I credit to the course overall.  Is this freedom what I should somehow connect to my happiness and my pursuit of the good life?  That seems obvious, but is it true?

No comments: