Friday, December 30, 2011

G's first bath

Well, it wasn't actually G's first bath, but it was his first in several years.  It was my actual first horse bath.  All in all, it wasn't too big of a deal.  Like everything I do that's horse related, I thoroughly researched it on google first.

I read a ton of sites.  Most of them agreed on the big picture.  Get everything ready first, hose from the bottom, shampoo with a sponge and bucket, rinse thoroughly, scrape with a sweat scraper, and BAM you have a clean horse.  That pretty much was it.

The thing is, BAM you have a clean horse is not the same as BAM, you have a dry horse.  I walked him, brushed him, walked him, brushed him, for about an hour.

I even cleaned his sheath.  It was not such a big deal, and really not gross or anything.

Of course once he was clean and dry I knew he would roll.  I decided to turn him out in the arena where at least he would roll in dry sand.  He did.  I brushed the sand off and put him back in his stall in the end.  I wonder what he'll look like on Sunday.

No comments: