Thursday, December 1, 2011

Windy Wednesday

The weather reports have been threatening historical winds to start yesterday evening and blow for many days.  I left school as soon as I could to ride before the wind hit.  It was gusty, but not more than the usual Santa Anas we get in the fall.  I rode a little before the gusts started making me too nervous.  I don't want a branch falling or rubbish blowing to spook G.  It was just breezy during the night.  I hope it is calm on Friday so I can ride more.

Good news, his teeth were floated in the last few days.  Horses' molars wear unevenly so they should be filed every year or so.  If their teeth are too uneven, they can't grind up their food enough.  Then when the fibrous hay hits their stomach, the nutrients aren't processed.  This may be one reason G is so thin even though he gets fed a normal amount.  He was wormed a few weeks ago, too.  Hopefully he'll start putting on some weight.

Other good news, I ordered a new saddle pad for him.  He has high withers and a bit of a sway to his back, so this pad will help get the saddle off his withers.  It was cheap to order and shipping was cheap, too.  Of course that means a long wait for it to arrive.

Today I need to pay for my December lease.  I'm beginning to think I should start a list of the costs of leasing in order to have an idea of what owning will cost.

So far:
lease $150 for Nov.
halter $25
saddle pad $26
reins $20ish
horse cookies $21
grooming tools $0 (gift)
floating teeth $0 (done by ranch)
worming $0 (done by ranch)

No comments: