Sunday, June 1, 2008

retirement party

I went to Mrs. Witter's retirement party.Just saying Mrs. Witter rather than Julie probably makes it clear that she's a teacher. She taught for 32 years! She was Caitlin's 2nd grade teacher and the year after that she was mine. My first year as a teacher Julie and I shared a class. I learned so much from her. I learned about teaching, students, and parents. I learned about patience, priorities, and collaboration. She is an incredible woman, mentor, and teacher.

A few years ago I went to an end of the year party. They celebrated a retiring teacher I didn't know. After the speeches all I could think was, "God don't let that be me." Her career sounded bleak and wasted. I was so depressed afterward. Granted, I was kind of depressed before and feeling bleak and wasted myself. I was probably projecting.

Anyway, after Julie's party I feel reinvigorated. Not to mention...Sam is still alive! Sam is the mud puppy salamander Julie had in her room when Caitlin was in her class. It was at the end of life expectancy then. He has vacationed at our house a few times when Julie was out of town. I stopped asking about him, because I was afraid by now he must be dead. We figured once he must be about Caitlin's age, 16.

No comments: