Friday, January 13, 2012

simple lead changes

The wind finally settled down this afternoon.  Red Flag warnings expired at 3:00 and for once the wind paid attention.  It was still pretty breezy so I decided to stick to the arena.

The January gymkhana is Sunday so I practiced the barrels.  Last month we disqualified on the barrel event because we crossed the timing line when we took a turn way too wide.  I read somewhere that it is important to be a driver and not just a passenger when riding, and that's what I concentrated on today as we wove around the barrels.  In the past I've been afraid of making G turn so tightly he might wipe out.  This fear, which is really unfounded, meant I didn't take control and G didn't have direction.

The other thing I worked on today was simple lead changes.  We did figure eights at a lope with a trot in the middle and a new lead as we reversed direction on the next loop.  This is something I really enjoy working on with Danny and hadn't tried with G.  He is getting better and better, and I'm getting more and more confident in his abilities.

I've invited two of my new friends to come to the gymkhana.  I hope they come, and I hope I do ok.

No comments: