Monday, January 9, 2012

Trail 3 days in a row

My last three rides on G have been on trail.  Becky took me out on Wednesday and showed me a fairly flat loop that included the wash along Sierra Hwy.  It was great to get to know someone at G's ranch.  G does not stand for "gentleman".  He pinned his ears every time he got close to Diamond, Beck's horse.  He even bit poor Diamond on the butt.  G obviously likes to be in the lead, but that won't work when I don't know where we're going.

On Friday I did the wash portion of the ride on my own.  I just rode out and back.  It went really well and I'll definitely do it again.  It took about 45 minutes and seemed quite long, but when I mapped it it turned out to be barely more than 3 miles.  Still, it was a warm day and G was tired and sweaty when we finished.

Yesterday, Sunday, Becky and I went out together again.  The wind was gusty and a little nerve wracking in places.  This route had a few more hills.  G pinned his ears a lot, but I tried to keep him well back from Diamond.  At one point the trail goes up pretty steeply, a hairpin turn at the top and then down.  Becky warned me about the sharp turn, but too late for me to visualize it.  We came right up on Diamond's rear as she slowed to turn.  Although G didn't bite, Diamond kicked.  Fortunately, G's little leap back didn't tumble us on the slope.

I'm learning a lot on these rides.  I'm sorry Diamond has to put up with my inexperience in trail etiquette.  It's such a relief to find some trails I can enjoy.

No comments: