Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 3 - giant dog?

So is G just a giant dog?  I wasn't able to get to the ranch before sunset, and what a beautiful sunset!  It had rained off and on all day and the clouds were the perfect canvas.

Anyway, with the Riversidians on their way I had no time to ride.  Plus it was getting dark and very cold.  So I put G's new halter on him and turned him out in the arena.  First he just wandered around nose to the ground, sniffing.  Then he went to a corner and started rolling.  Finally he got up and followed me around.  I just walked all around with this huge critter close behind.  A couple times I just suddenly stopped to see what he would do.  He kind of nosed into me and then just stood there waiting for me to go again.  Next time I'll take the long lunging whip in and see if he will actually run around.  Obviously I'm not going to whip him.  It's just kind of a prop.

Lunge, lounge, longe and many other spellings I've seen.  I think it's regional as well as misspellings.
The ranch owner had G's teeth checked.  He needs them floated.  She'll have it done next time the guy is there.  I say"the guy" because I don't know if he's the vet or what.  I wonder if she had his feet looked at.  I think he's going to need shoes.  $$
I feel like G is bonding with me a little.  Of course I've only seen him 5 times over the last 2 weeks, but it's a start.  I just shouldn't bond with him too much.  He isn't mine, and he isn't the horse I want to own.

Today is my riding lesson at the other ranch.  Now Danny is closer to the horse I want to own, but not yet.  After my lesson many of the family are going on a trail ride.  C & R have never done a real ride on horses, only pony rides.  This is the grandma I want to be.  The one with animals, especially horses.  6 people on the ride, I hope they send a good guide.  I better get some tip money ready.

No comments: