Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 2 - too windy

It's day two of my lease with Geronimo.  What that really means is that it's Wednesday, Sunday being day one.  The Santa Anas have been howling since last evening.  We had indoor recess and lunch at school because the wind was so strong.  All day I was thinking about G and how much I could ride him in the wind.

When I got to the ranch it was gusting.  No one else was around.  I took G out of his stall and groomed him.  He was calm, so I decided to tack him up.  Nancy, a boarder, warned me that the wind might make him spooky.  He still was calm so I took him into the arena.  We only rode about 20 minutes.

I walked him 2 laps in each direction, the jogged 2 each way.  His jog is very slow and very smooth.  Kinda boring.  We did figure eights, circles, and halts followed by backing.  He did well, but it wasn't very satisfying.  I stopped while he was still behaving well.  I was afraid the wind might cause a problem, and I wanted to stop while I was ahead.

Before I went home I stopped at Fox Feed and spent $25 on a larger halter.  He has a big head and the halter he came with is an average size.  I bought a green one.  It was actually a hard choice.  What color goes with a red horse with a white face and a blue eye?  Wait!  I just realized how patriotic his coloring is!

No comments: