Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 4 - it's my birthday

Yesterday was my 47th birthday.  The family came out from Riverside, so it was  busy weekend.  On Saturday I had my lesson on Danny at Don E Brooks.  Afterwards I went on a trail ride with Gayle, Autumn, Rene, and the twins, Charlotte and Ramona.  It was fun, and the girls got to do a little trotting.  On the way home we stopped to see G.  It wasn't my day to ride him, so they just looked at him and I gave him cookies.




Sunday we had a big brunch, without the traditional champagne.  We had too much to do, so post champagne sleepiness was not on the menu.  After eating too much, I had to go run 1.2 miles at the marathon with some of my students.  Blahh, I was glad I kept my breakfast down.  It was a close thing!

When I got home the family went with me to see G again.  Elsa didn't see him the day before, and Caitlin had never seen him either.  After they left, I got down to business.



I took G into the arena and we walked several laps in each direction.  Then we trotted, and then I finally loped him.  His lope is kind of rough.  I hope it smooths out as he gains muscle tone.  We loped a couple laps in each direction, then walked, and then loped a bit again.  G doesn't really neck reign too well.  He goes off leg pressure.  I need to learn to direct him that way, but I also want him to learn to neck reign.

After the arena, I rode him around the outer perimeter of the ranch twice.  There are two steep, but short hills that are good for muscle building.  He seems pretty nervous when we are out on the "trail".  Hopefully he will calm down with experience.

Just as I put him away it started to rain again.  The tin roof shelters amplify the sound, making it seem like a bigger storm.  By the time I got home, it was hailing.  That must have been deafening at the ranch!

No comments: