Sunday, November 27, 2011

Horses for Thanksgiving week

It's been a busy week, busy with good things mostly.  I rode G on Wednesday morning.  It was a furlough day.  Menchi got to visit the horses.  He was very excited.  When I rode in the arena his barked and whined, but it wouldn't have been safe to let him off leash.  He would have gotten kicked because he doesn't know how to behave around horses.  I rode G enough to work up a sweat.  It was an hour with lots of trotting and some loping.  The arena was still heavy from the rain, so it was a real workout.

Michelle said she was going to worm G that afternoon.  I don't know how soon any difference could be seen.  She also talked about his teeth and feet, but no firm date on those.  

We went to Riverside and had a great Thanksgiving.  More on that in another entry.

We came home on Friday and I rode G again until he was sweaty.  I also lunged him a little.  I noticed his saddle really is sitting on his withers.  He has very high withers and is thin, so it isn't surprising.  I'm looking at saddle pads that might help.  I'm unwilling to spend too much money since he isn't mine and I don't plan on keeping my lease forever.

Saturday I had my lesson on Danny.  After riding G, I have a lot more confidence and respect for Danny.  It was a good lesson.  Lots of loping with lead changes.  Afterwards we went on a trail ride.  It was great weather, but a bit windy.  That meant 2 hours on Danny :-)  Then he was going to do another lesson.  He was probably tired after that!  I went hiking with Gary and Menchi at Placerita after the trail ride.  I was sure tired.

Today I go back to ride G.  I'm going to pay more attention to his saddle placement.  Maybe part of his lowering his head while loping is the saddle hurting his back.

1 comment:

Kenyo said...

I enjoy hearing about your experiences with the horses. I think you are wonderful to take on such a demanding project. I am sure it's one you have wanted for a long time.

Today's word verification is "redud."